Sunday 18 September 2016

There's a nip in the air...

A nip in the air and some frost during the full moon and you know that you are into Fall. All that and this weekend DH is away getting the hunt camp ready for the coming season. That has meant I have had a few days to myself. They have flown by too. I got a little housework done after dealing with a pinched nerve in my back all week. But mostly I just hand quilted and watched Netflix. I have been watching a show called "Offspring". An Australian based drama/comedy about a gyne/ob doctor and her family members. It is quite entertaining!
rounding the first corner
In keeping with Sunday and Kathy's slow stitching movement ...a time to relax after a busy week, I will be doing more hand stitching. I have been finishing a quilt for a friend that her mother started. Her mother was a beautiful hand quilter(her stitches are so small). My stitches are no way as small but finishing this quilt for my friend is a labor of love so that she will have a special keepsake that her mom's hands created. I am on the home stretch...just have three outside borders to go, then binding and delivery. The binding could be a challenge as I have none of the fabrics that are in the quilt ( I am thinking some of those fabrics are older than me)but I am thinking a scrappy binding to match the leaves.I may have some similar fabric in my "deep" stash as Bonnie Hunter says!! On another note, the first thing I noticed when I received this quilt was that it was basted with yarn and I thought it was odd...but I have to say it holds the quilt in place much better than thread basting. The only drawback is when pulling it out the batting beards a little but is easily tucked back in. I want to try this on the next quilt I baste.

colourful fall leaves

I want to fit in some machine sewing today also and IF I do this is what I am working on. It has been sitting on my cutting table for two weeks.Yes it has been two weeks since I sat at a machine...please don't call the quilting police on me!!!!haha These are swoon blocks that I will be doing a demo on at guild in a couple of weeks. They look complicated but are really very easy to do and depending on where you put your lights and darks, the blocks look totally different.
swoon blocks in progress
Typing on here is not getting any sewing or stitching done...have a great week!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I loved sewing Swoon blocks!
    Enjoy finishing that hand quilting! I think a scrappy binding will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet to finish this quilt for your friend. I would think that yarn used for basting would leave larger holes in the fabric, and that is probably why the batting tried to migrate out. It is an interesting idea, if it keeps things from shifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swoon blocks are great. Thanks for the Netflix suggestion. I have been watching "Republic of Doyle" on Netflix...a Canadian drama/comedy about a family of policemen/detectives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitches look wonderful and I am always looking for another good series on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're are such a good friend to finish this quilt. I would just trim and fold the edge of the backing up around to the front for the binding. That's what my MIL did for many of her quilts. Gotta love those Swoon blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best, with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews, than by all means come in and check our stuff. แอร์ ราคาถูก

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...