Monday 1 February 2016

February 1st.....slow down already!!!

who I listened to while stitching away
How did that happen? Well I guess when you finally find your mojo after the holidays and you have your nose buried in fabric...time sure flies!!
I managed to get a lot accomplished this weekend. On Friday night DH and friends were practicing (jamming they call it) and I was able to enjoy the music from my sewing room while  I finished the binding on these two baby quilts. They might not get delivered for awhile but they are done!!
baby quilts finished
string quilt
Saturday it was time for this string wonder quilt. It is funny how the patches all looked similar but in the photo I can see where I could have put different fabrics to make it more blendy. But I like it and a good first attempt. I pinned it and quilted it with a meandering pattern and found just enough red for the binding. I would have loved to have bound it  in black but just didn't have enough to do it. Need to add black to the shopping list for the next quilt store visit!

top, backing and quilting thread choice
I like to save the binding for the evening while watching TV...so Sunday I went searching for backing. You know when you have an idea and you can't seem to find just the right fabric, never give up. Now I do have a bit of a stash to search through but I was thinking pink but couldn't find just the right one. As a last ditch effort I went into the brown box and VOILA...the perfect backing for a quilt for a young lady. Not only that but this particular piece was used before for a backing and had some cut out of it. There was just the perfect amount of fabric for the backing I needed without wasting any and it was a directional fabric. I love Karma and how it works in quilting.
My slow stitching this Sunday with Kathy was basting a quilt that now has the most perfect brown backing!!! haha  My poor little fingers are sore from all that basting too. I plan to do some hand quilting of baptist fans on the quilt to practice up for a couple other quilts I want to do this winter. I hope I can get them all done. One job or quilt at a time! Now to go and do something before I have to wander off to guild this evening. At least I will have lots to show during show and tell! Have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...