Monday 19 October 2015

Happiness is.....

Outside our sewing window
Looking at the lake










Well happiness is many things today! We had our first taste of winter over the weekend. This made for a chilly weekend.
Although another quilting retreat has come to an end for me, it was a very successful weekend despite some minor issues with the place we were staying at.
I finished one machine quilted large lap quilt. I received some mentoring from a long arm quilter who was there and who was sure I could do this. After doodling on paper for a couple of hours, I started on the real thing. Lucky for me the fabric is busy and the thread is a very close match. I am happy with the finished product although there is lots of room for improvement. Did I mention machine quilting free motion is not one of my favorite things to do!!

my table mates
large sewing room










I had begun with a warm up of a smaller quilt that I was making for a friend for her dog. I think Chester will love his new travel blanket. After all that machine quilting...I just wanted to piece and sew on my featherweight. So on I went...pieced together two baby quilts and a few curved pieced blocks. That brought me almost to the end of the retreat. It can't be over, I still have projects to do!!!
Sadly packed everything up and headed home. Little did I know what was waiting for me.

While I was away DH and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary. Yes I was away!! But for several years before that he was away moose hunting so I figure ..turn about fair play!!!
Sitting in my living room/sewing room was a 301A sewing machine in a cabinet that he had found, bought and drove 3 hours there and back 3 hours so I would have it to play with this week while he was hunting. What a great surprise and what a sweet man..I think I will keep him!!!
I would like to send a little shout out to the previous owner...Barb. Thanks for parting with your machine...please know that is has a good home and will be so loved. I have named her(all my machines have names) Jiji....after all she was found on Kijiji!!!
curved blocks for my daughter's quilt
for Chester

machine quilting
large lap size quilt

After all this, I did get in some slow stitching for a Sunday with Kathy. I have lots of bindings to do after this weekend. So a quilt,  netflix, and a few hours and one quilt is done and another started.

So my plan for this week is sewing, playing and more sewing. That's my happiness is......


6 comments:

  1. Have a happy week and let's binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna- glad to see you like her. I'm letting go of some machines to make room for the 12 foot Handiquilter table in my livingroom. I know the machine, Jiji, has found a great home.
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a pretty one! I am so lucky. I sewed on her all day yesterday and she was so smooth. Thanks again!!! She will be a great addition to my "herd" of machines.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Jackpot! Your hubby is a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new addition to the herd! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic anniversary gift! He really is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...